About Thinks

Sometimes good thinks happen and sometimes bad thinks happen. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.

Some thinks need immediate action and some thinks may remain as thinks forever. Thinks can be angry and heated. Thinks can be joyful. Thinks should never be cold.

These thinks are linked to many other wonderful thinks and I like to attribute these.

These thinks do not necessary reflect those thinks of my employer.

Think long, think on.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Perspective = Empathy "Shake it up baby!"

This fine Saturday morning I was hit by a wave of inspiration thanks to Ranghava KK.

His Ted Talk ticks all my boxes.  It's short and sweet.  It's powerful, and I'm left bursting with ideas.

My class has had a little exposure to playing with perspectives. We have found Google Docs a brilliant tool for seeing other peoples points of views and takes on situations.

Ranghava KK's use of his ipad book, where kids can shake page to get another perspective has really got me thinking!

While I am not an App developer, the technology of QR codes can make this concept easily achievable in the classroom. Let's take last night's opening of the Rugby World Cup. This is an awesome illustration of how one event has multiple perspectives.

To name but a few:
1. A person who got to the opening ceremony on time, with little fuss and was blown away

2. The person trapped in the train

3. The person at home watching it on TV

4. The person in the cloud

5. The person taken to hospital

6. A lonely person watching on their own

7. The boy in the opening ceremony

8. The person who missed it all by choice

9. The person who missed it all because they had to work

You get my drift, right?

So thanks to this fantastic TED talk I can imagine an eBook that when shaken can give you these multiple perspectives. But in the classroom we can achieve this with a QR code display that links us to these alternative perspectives.

As Ranghava KK says, perspective = empathy. The act of my kids being able to report on these differing accounts will be great stuff. The Rugby World Cup will be a good start, but I imagine much deeper learning will come when delving into more politically charged material.

No comments:

Post a Comment