About Thinks

Sometimes good thinks happen and sometimes bad thinks happen. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.

Some thinks need immediate action and some thinks may remain as thinks forever. Thinks can be angry and heated. Thinks can be joyful. Thinks should never be cold.

These thinks are linked to many other wonderful thinks and I like to attribute these.

These thinks do not necessary reflect those thinks of my employer.

Think long, think on.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

eFellows

So, I'm a 2010 Core Education eFellow which is a lovely honour. I get to hang out in Christchurch a few times this year with a fantastic bunch of like-minded people who do amazing things. Here we are.

I'm looking at the increased use of digital cameras (including webcams and video) in the class room and how the use of them can make the learning more authentic if, for example, they are used for blogs.

I first began to notice it when the kids in my room were putting a little bunch of songs together for baby Blake (as a part of our Roots of Empathy programme). It was a dreary rainy Tuesday morning, the baby was coming that day, I was a tad stressed. But it HAD TO BE DONE. The bell hadn't rung. Would it be possible to get them to do it BEFORE school officially starts? I grabbed the class organiser.
"Go spread the word that I need everyone here now" I said calmly
"Has the bell rung?" She questioned in disbeleif.
"Nope" I said matter-of-fact
"Okaaaaay" She trailed of.

Within two minutes they were there, some looking concerned, most looking confused and a few looking really angry (they'd probably been playing something really fun outside). They knew they didn't HAVE to be there.

"We're making a video for baby Blake!" I announced.
"And it will be going on the blog so Miss Bedford can see it"

The volume in the classroom was through the roof and the phrase "has the bell rung?" echoed all around.

I thought - there is NO WAY I am going to pull this off.

"Right, I screeched in desparation - we're doing Hello Baby Blake, Twinkle Twinkle, and ABC... The Webcam is on, We're counting down 3 2 1 ...

IMMEDIATE FOCUS

It was like a switch. I nearly cried with joy. These kids are video savy.

The video

They managed to record all the songs in less than 5 minutes and go back out to play. Published on the blog, dvd burned before morning tea. Everyone Happy.

So I thought Hmmmmmmm I need to capture this instant focus for many more things.

No comments:

Post a Comment